Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Crime and Punishment Discussion

During our class time today, I was interested in learning all of the background information about Crime and Punishment and Dostoevsky. I never realized that existentialism played such a crucial role in the novel! (Mostly because I did not really understand what it actually was). Our class had discussed many times how we were drawn into the novel and how we felt like the individual characters. However, I never actually looked back to when I was reading the novel, and when I did, I realized that I too was drawn into it! Normally, I'm not a huge fan of these summer reading assignments, but this book was actually interesting and I could not put it down! Dostoevsky is an amazing author and his techniques really set him apart from most of the other books I have read.
It was interesting to be taught about literature from a pastor, but I really enjoyed it! I do not know why I would have the mindset that pastors probably are not too informed about literature, but that is what I was thinking when he first came in. After he began to speak, I was blown away! I was very impressed by how much he knew about Dostoevsky and how passionate he was about the novels.

No comments: